Monday, August 10, 2009

My Saturday woes

The boys and I were going to go on a trip Saturday to visit my brother and sister-in-law. Unfortunately, my truck had other plans for us. We got about 7 miles from home and stopped at a four way intersection when the engine decided to stop working. It was as if I had shut off the key. I thought it was as simple as not getting enough gas while idling with the AC on full blast and the radio blaring, so I shut all of those things off, and attempted to restart it. Nope, it wasn't happening. People behind me started to become impatient. Horns started blaring and tempers started to fly. I turned on my hazard lights and rolled down my window and motioned for people to go around me. It was a very awkward situation. I called my husband, but he didn't answer the phone. He was sleeping. I called my neighbor, but she didn't answer the phone. She was driving. I called a friend that lived perhaps two miles from where I was stranded, but she didn't answer the phone. God knows what she was doing. I began to panic. I actually began to cry. I could not believe nobody was even offering to help me. There I was, a woman, alone with two children, and clearly having trouble. All people could do was honk their horns at me and flip me off as they angrily drove by. I decided I would attempt to push my truck through the intersection and into a bank parking lot. At least then I would be pissing those losers off. Luckily, two Mexican dudes pulled up behind me as I was attempting to push my 4,000 lb vehicle through the intersection. They told me to get into the truck and steer while they pushed. So I did, and they helped me get the truck into the drive thru of the bank parking lot. Unfortunately, I was facing the vehicles as they were coming out of the drive thru and it confused them to have me sitting there. They could squeeze through, but they were slow to figure this out. My neighbor called me back and went to our house to wake my husband. She got to my house and called again. There was a Do Not Disturb sign on our door and she was afraid to ring the doorbell. I told her to please Disturb him. Ring the doorbell until he answered. Anything to get him awake. He got up and came to help, but in the mean time a military guy saw me attempting to push the truck into a parking space. I was not succeeding, because it was slightly up hill, and it required me to turn the wheel and push at the same time. Has anyone ever attempted to turn the wheels of a power steering vehicle without power steering? So, he helped me get out of the way, and I was very grateful. The thing that pissed me off the most is that we had more people stop and asked us if we needed help AFTER my husband arrived then while I was alone. What is it with these people? I thought we were suppose to be kind in the South? Well, to make a long story short. We called a tow truck and they towed it off. Hubby took me and the kids home and that was that.
I found out today that it was the timing belt broke. Now it is going to cost me over $300 to repair it. OUCH!!!!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Cece,

You know I tried to call Dad Saturday, but wasn't able to get ahold of him. Even called my sister, Ms. V to see if he was there, but no reply, then called Mom to see if she knew where he was. "Nope." Dad called Sunday to wish me HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and I had a chance to tell him about the truck. He gave me the answer but I forgot to call you Monday and reading this reminds me I should have called today. This is what he said, "Hummmmmmmmmmm. Well, it could be a number of things, but if there was a gun to my head and I had to give an answer in 5 seconds: timing belt." Baby, that's hilarious!!! I have to call him back when I stop blogging and tell him. He'll laugh.

And about no one stopping to help. People can be idiots darling. Thank God the two guys who stopped did. And then the guy in the bank parking lot too. I can't even imagine you trying to push the truck with the kids in it!!! That was probably your problem! They're old enough to help.

I love you baby and so glad you're safe and sound. And like I said, Triple A. It's saved my ass so many times. And the cost really isn't prohibitive. I'm serious. It's probably less in Arkansas. Good luck with finding $300 for the repair. You know we're always thinking about you.

XO

Megan said...

Timing belts are the WORST.

I will not tell my story here, because yours is bad enough. Oh honey, I wish I'd been there. I'd have been pushing with all my might!

(LOL at THAT mental picture.)

Thanks for the text this morning. You might be one of the nicest people on the planet, you know that?????

Cece said...

Thanks Suze, you will need to give me dad's phone mumber so that I can call him the next time I'm having car trouble.

Megan,
That is such a nice compliment. I try to be a good person, but I'm not sure I always succeed.

Suzanne said...

Hey baby, do you think you could organize Jo's birthday party?

XO

Suzanne said...

Hi honey. Thanks for all the calls. Sorry I wasn't able to return them. You'll understand soon enough. Thanks to for the birthday bash for Jo. Very nicely done!

Love you. We'll talk soon okay. I just haven't had the energy to even pick up the phone, but it doesn't mean I don't love you. ;)

XO