Friday, July 30, 2010

Gas Station Bathroom Dining?

I was coming home from my weekly trip to work when the urge to pee came upon me. Now I must admit, I hate using public bathrooms, but alas, I had no choice, so I found the cleanest looking gas station I could find on that seemingly strip in the middle of nowhere and I stopped. I was horrified as soon as I opened the door. Not because the bathrooms were disgusting, but because of what I saw the people occupying the bathroom partaking in. No it's not what you think. They were eating lunch. Two were perched upon the sink slurping down their Big Gulps and munching on greasy cheesy hamburgers. The other two were standing (in the doorway I might add). Their lunches were precariously balanced on the towel dispensers. I"m sure the look on my face was of complete shock once my brain processed what my eyes were seeing. I mean, I don't even like to urinate in a gas station bathroom, let along dine there. One of the girls had her shoes off and was walking barefoot!! IN A PUBLIC BATHROOM!!!!! The whole scene was just wrong on so many levels. The occupants sensed my reluctance to enter, and proceeded to display their great southern hospitality by saying, "Come on in ! We won't bit. Unless you're a hamburger." Yep that made me want to run, not walk from the building. But since I had to pee so badly that my eyeballs were floating and my bladder was about to bust, I didn't have much of a choice. After I finished "doing my business" I had to ask one of the ladies to scoot over so that I could use the sink to wash my hands. Another lady had to remove her lunch from the towel dispenser so that i could dry them. That is when I heard the conversation about toe cramps, and corns. The lady asked me if I knew of anything that would stop toe cramps. I told her no and got out of the bathroom as quickly as my little feet would carry me. I do believe that the next time the urge to pee hits me on one of my drives home I will be avoiding that gas station like the plague.


9 comments:

Leah said...

OH MY GOD that is SO SO SO gross. I cannot, simply cannot, believe that anyone would do that...uuuuggggh. You know, I often see women nursing their babies in public bathrooms, and I can't believe that either. Yuck. I always want to tell them, no one will mind if they come out of the bathroom! If they feel shy, they can just cover up a bit with a blanky.

No eating should ever, ever, ever go on in bathrooms. Ever. It's practically my only rule in life.

kylie said...

i often put my coffee on the side of the sink while i shower, then it's ready for when i get out

Mr. Shife said...

Wow. That is nasty. Public bathrooms are gross and I just can't imagine enjoying a meal in there. Definitely an experience you will not forget for a long time.

Megan said...

Take off your shoes and relax your socks.

Oh, but maybe not so much, these days, with all the anti-vac people around...

just bob said...

I may never eat or pee again.

Cece said...

Yeah, take this scenerio and add the fact that I'm a MICROBIOLOGIST to the mix. You get the horror that was showing on my face pretty well. Oh and the one with their shoes off had their socks off too. BAREFOOT. IN A PUBLIC BATHROOM. Honestly the only bathroom I feel comfortable using is my own. And I don't eat in it.

Leah said...

Okay, I might drink coffee once in awhile too while I'm getting a shower ready...

Part of my own personal bathroom/eating issue is the fact that NYC bathrooms are generally teensy weensy, kinda like Parisian bathrooms (so I like to think)--real estate being at too much of a premium to waste on bathroom space--so you're never very far from the toilet when you're in your bathroom.

You know what I like? The European way of separating the toilet from the actual bathing room. They are generally in a little windowed closet; we had that in Jerusalem.

Okay, I'm off on a tangent. I really enjoyed this post immensely! It satisfied my inner gross-out needs and was funny besides.

Oh and Bob, you crack me up.

Joyful Jo said...

We have an older style house where the bathroom is separted from the toilet. New houses have the toilet all as one.

Suzanne said...

This is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and looks like Bob's on a diet. Two funny stories to add to the mix. Rob and I were moving from Denver to Berkeley. I had to pee so badly, so we stopped at what appeared to be a nice station. The bathroom was absolutely GROSS. I refused to pee. I made him drive to the next one where I think my bladder actually exploded because it was about 20 miles away! Then a private bathroom experience. We had been having a few problems with the toilet. I had to pee as I was getting dressed, so only had my blue jeans on when "IT" happened. Backup. Water about to run over the top. Screaming for Rob, "ROBERT HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!" He came running down the hall to see me with my pants around my ankles plunging the toilet like a wild woman. I will never forget the look of disappointment and pure fear on his face as he said "Oh my God." And he wasn't referring to the toilet problem. Still brings tears of laughter to our eyes. Trust me, it wasn't a sexy IV photo of a lady and her plunger!!!